Friday, October 31, 2014

Dear Catholic business owners




I've been frustrated lately by interactions with two Catholic businesses and without naming any names I have to say that I really wish four  things:


  1. If you intend to have a going concern get your business model straight. Do not send me letters or e-mail hinting that I'm not a good Catholic if I don't buy your product to help you pull you  out of insolvency.  A number of Catholic publishers have played this game in recent years and it always ticks me off. Pity and guilt is not how you market a business.
  2. Act like you know what you are doing. I expect the same level of professionalism from you as I would from a totally secular business. If you ship me a product and it doesn't arrive in three weeks and you did not send it book rate or live in another country don't get huffy when I inquire as to the product's whereabouts and communicate honestly with your customer who has spent good money with you.
  3. Have a product worth repeat business. If your product is substandard why do think I should buy it?
  4. Don't oversell to ridiculous lengths.  Your movie with its bad acting, anachronistic language, and poor technical quality  is not the greatest thing since The Passion of Christ.
  5. I'll say it again. Get your  business model straight.